Drumbo-Richwood Pastoral Charge
Sept. 28, 2014
Minister: Rev. Jan Alyward
Organist: Joan Shantz
Willis’ 145th Anniversary
We Gather to Celebrate God’s Presence
*Indicates a time to stand if you are able.
WELCOME & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Lighting of the Christ Candle
Christ is our Light.
Thanks be to God.
Gathering Drumbo Men’s Choir and Willis Choir
“Glorify Thy Name – Majesty”
*Hymn #245 “Praise the Lord With the Sound of Trumpet”
Inspiring God, our living, loving, creative creator, we worship you, and we bring before you today our hopes and aspirations for our continuing life together.
On this Anniversary Sunday, we give thanks to those who have gone before, a great cloud of witnesses to your love and grace. And so today, as we gather in your name, to offer once again prayer and praise and to encounter the risen Christ by the power of the Spirit, we ask for a renewed vision for our community of faith.
Lord’s Prayer VU 959
Ministry of Music Willis Children’s Choir
“I’m Gonna Sing”
*Hymn #649 “Walk With Me”
Story for All
Ministry of Music Willis Choir
“Come To My Heart Lord Jesus”
Scripture Matthew 6:5-15
“Pray in this way”
Introduction of Guest Speaker Fran Bell
*Hymn #664 “ What a Friend We Have in Jesus”
Offering The ministries of this church and of the United Church of Canada would not be possible without your financial support. May we give not out of obligation, but in hope for all that our gifts can do.
Drumbo Men’s Choir – “I Found the Answer”
Dedication VU 541 (vs1) Praise God
Gift giving God, for 145 years people have gathered in this place to share their gifts. Help us continue this sharing of our time, talent, and treasure. May the gifts we give be gifts of Love. May they increase the power of Love in the re-creation of the world. Amen.
Prayers of the People
*Hymn #331 “The Church’s One Foundation”
Blessing Drumbo Men’s Choir
“May the Lord Bless and Keep You”
Announcements/ Upcoming Events
• Everyone is invited to join us for a time of fellowship, refreshments, in the church hall following the service.
• Thank you to all who have made this 145th Anniversary Special.
• Coffee Time-: Every Monday from 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. @ Willis United Church.
• Monday morning coffee group need your old jeans!!!! (or anything denim). Please bring them to either church. They are taking on an outreach project.
• M & P Committee: Needs female volunteers 1 from Richwood and 1 from Drumbo by Sept. 30, 2014. Please contact Dave Money or Martin Mason to let them know.
• Sun. Oct. 5 – Both churches World Wide Communion.
• Sun. Oct. 5, 2014-Coffee Break Richwood- 9:15 a.m. during Guest Speaker Yvonne Snider from the Alzheimer Society. Coffee Break Willis at 10 a.m. Guest Speaker Yvonne Snider from the Alzheimer Society. Donations appreciated.
• Sunday Oct. 12 – Thanksgiving Sunday.
• Tues. Oct. 14 – Willis Session Meeting at Willis at 7 p.m.
• Thur. Oct. 16 – Official Board Meeting at Richwood at 7:30 p.m.
• Thurs. Oct. 23- Richwood Congregational Meeting at Richwood at 7 p.m.
• Sun. Oct. 19 – Richwood Anniversary Service-Special music by the Drumbo Men’s Choir and musical selections by Jen Smith and Adam Mason. Guest Speaker Sarah Harrington member of the permanent committee on Programs for Mission & Ministry for the United Church of Canada.
• Sun. Oct. 26 – Baptist Anniversary Service at 11 a.m. at the Drumbo Baptist Church.
Did You Know……?
• That in 1868 the people in Drumbo requested to “have a Kirk o’ oor Ain” which resulted in the building of Willis Presbyterian Church in 1869.
• That the half acre of land on which this church was built cost $50.
• That this church was named in honour of Dr. Michael Willis who was elected Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Canada in 1870.
• That by 1914 the congregation needed a larger building and the vote to build a new church was passed unanimously.
• That in April 1915 the Baptist church offered to share their building with the Presbyterians until the new church was built – a total of eighteen months.
• That most of the work of taking down the old church and building the new one was done by the volunteer efforts of the members, adherents and friends of the congregation.
• That the corner stone was laid on June 29, 1915.
• That the total cost of the new building was $11,288.43.
• That the grand opening and dedicatory service took place on September 17, 1916 and was conducted by The Rev. Dr. Gibson of Knox Presbyterian Church, Woodstock.
• That in 1925, when The United Church of Canada was born, this building was only ten years old, so the Methodists were invited and welcomed by the Presbyterians to join them here.
• That on May 6, 1984 the lighted oak cross at the front of the church was dedicated.
• That on May 25, 1986 the two glass front doors were dedicated.