The United Church of Canada
Richwood’s 150th Anniversary
11:00 a.m. October 16, 2011
- indicates the congregation can stand as able
We Gather to Celebrate God’s Presence
*Indicates a time to stand as you are able.
Gathering Music - Drumbo Men’s Choir & Richwood Choir
“Love Divine, All Loves Excelling” – C. Wesley, 1747
Welcome & Announcements
*Lighting of the Christ Candle
Christ is our Light.
Thanks be to God.
Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty!
Early in the morning our song shall rise to Thee;
Holy, holy, holy, merciful and mighty,
God in Three Persons, blessed Trinity!
*Call to Worship
Today we gather to celebrate!
We celebrate 150 years of faith-filled ministry.
Today God invites us to rejoice.
We rejoice as people of God,
thankful that we can serve and care.
Today God invites us to dream..
We dream of sharing love and new possibilities.
Let us join our hearts and voices to worship God.
Prayer of Approach
Creator God, on this Anniversary Sunday we celebrate
the 150 years of the Richwood United Church and the
lives of her people. May we learn from the past, open
our hearts to your call, and share Christ’s love into the
future which you unfold before us. Bless this time we
share today, for pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.
“An Anniversary Hymn” - Tune: Hymn to Joy
God we thank you, God we praise you
that you’ve brought us to this hour
and that we have journeyed safely
guided by your Spirit’s power.
At this time of anniversary
may we now to you draw near,
off’ring prayers and songs of gladness
for another grace-filled year.
God of time and God of history
you are first and you are last:
Keep alive the sacred story
of the saints of ages past --
those who built this congregation
with the labours of their hands,
and the faithful generations
of your church in many lands.
God of hope, the earth’s tomorrow,
may we your disciples be:
Filled with hope that never falters,
help us live courageously.
As we pause along the journey
on the pathway you have laid,
Strong Protector, may we ever
face the future unafraid.
We Listen for God’s Word
Prayer of Confession
O God, you know us just as you knew our parents and grandparents, just as you have understood people since the world began. We marvel that you do not despair. You call us to be faithful, but we have so many excuses as to why we cannot do your will. You call us to live as your family, yet we continually put your love to the test. Forgive us. Help us each to be your child and together be your faithful family. Amen.
Assurance of Pardon
Anthem - Drumbo Men’s Choir – Charles Wesley,, 1738
“Jesus Lover of My Soul”
“And Can it Be that I Should Gain?”
I am so glad that our Father in heaven
tells of his love in the book he has given:
wonderful things in the Bible I see;
this is the dearest that Jesus loves me.
I am so glad that Jesus loves me,
Jesus love me, Jesus love me,
I am so glad that Jesus loves me,
Jesus loves even me.
O if there’s only one song I can sing,
when in his beauty I see the great king,
this shall my song in eternity be,
‘O what a wonder that Jesus loves me.’
Chorus - Emily Sullivan Oakey, 1845
Scripture - Exodus 33: 12-23; Matthew 22: 15-22
Response of the Scripture – Drumbo Men’s Choir
Be with us this day to bless us,
Outside the saving truths impress us
Which the Words of Life contain.
- Carl J. P. Spitta, 1840
Solo “My Love Colours Outside the Lines`
- Martin Mason
Introduction of Guest Speaker – Paul Jacobson
Message “Nice Place You Have Here”
- Rev. Dr. Malcolm Sinclair
*Hymn Blest Be the Tie That Binds
Blest be the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love;
the fellowship of kindred minds is like to that above.
Before our Father’s throne we pour our ardent prayers:
our fears, our hopes, our aims are one,
our comforts and our cares.
This glorious hope revives our courage on the way,
That we shall live in perfect love in God’s eternal day.
We Respond to God’s Call
The Offering - Men’s Choir
“Take My Life and Let it Be” –Frances Havergal, 1874
*Presented in Song # 191 (MV) “What Can I Do?”
What can I do? What can I bring?
What can I say? What can I sing?
I’ll sing with joy. I’ll say a prayer.
I’ll bring my love. I’ll do my share. (Repeat )
*Prayer of Dedication
Prayers of the People # VU 400
Lord, listen to your children praying;
Lord, send your Spirit in this place.
Lord, listen to your children praying,
Send us love, send us power, send us grace.
We Go Out into God’s World
*HYMN Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah - W. Williams, 1740
Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah,
pilgrim through this barren land;
I am weak, but Thou art mighty;
hold me with Thy powerful hand;
Bread of heaven, feed me till I want no more.
When I tread the verge of Jordan,
Bid my anxious fears subside;
Death of death and hell’s Destruction,
land me safe on Canaan’s side;
Songs of praises I will ever give to Thee.
*Commissioning and Benediction
Musical Postlude – Drumbo Men’s Choir
“Rejoice, the Lord is King” – C. Wesley, 1744
* * * * * * * * *
THOUGHT for the WEEK
“We are members of a great body. We must consider that we were born for the good of the whole.”
- Seneca, Greek philosopher
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
Announcements/ Upcoming Events.
- The Minister’s Coffee Time: Every Monday Morning 9:30 a.m.
- Rev. Liz Lemon is in the office Tuesday and Thursday mornings 9-12 p.m. Home Phone 519-536-7630
- Lorraine is in the office Monday and Thursday Mornings
- Please check the Congregational Sheets at both churches and add your 911 numbers, and check your mailing address.
- Tues. Oct. 18, 2011 Come to the Table – The United Church Moderator – Mardi Tindal will be at Dundas St. United Woodstock. Dinner served at 6:00 p.m. Followed at 7 p.m. by worship and education time. Cost: Freewill Donation to the Horn of Africa Appeal. See Flyer at both churches.
- Oct. 19, 2011 Willis Session at 7 p.m.
- Oct. 19, 2011 M & P Meeting at Willis United Church at 8:15 p.m.
- Sun. Oct. 30, 2011 Baptist Anniversary Service 11:00 a.m.
- Old Fashion Christmas Concert – Sunday December 11th at 7 p.m. at Richwood United Church. Make sure you mark it on your calendar. The sign up sheet will be posted on the bulletin board early so that everyone can share their hidden talents with us. If you are having a problem finding material contact Marion Harrington she has numerous skits, readings, and more. A Christmas tree decoration bee will be held at the church on Saturday Dec. 3rd from 1-4 p.m. Craft material, cider and cookies will be provided bring the children come out and get in the Christmas spirit lets see how creative we can be. For more details or questions contact Connie Awde 519-463-5443.
We firmly believe there are a need and a place for God in our lives, in our community and our world. We welcome everyone to joyfully worship in an open, warm and secure environment and offer them the opportunity to share the fellowship of an active church.